Thursday, April 19, 2007

Why I don't live in Canada

Ok, it's been more than 5 years since I've lived in Canada, and sure I miss some people and the great selection of potato chips, but for the most part I am very happy with my move.

Most people in Canada cannot realy understand it. When I talk to them about how life in the rest of the world is fine, and that not everyone wants to move to Canada, I get blank stares. So many people in Canada are taught from an early age that Canada is the best (and most humble) nation on the planet. That everyone is just dying to get in.

well... I'm not. And here's why:


The average Canadian family earned $63,001 in 2006 and paid taxes equalling $28,311, almost 45 per cent of its income, while spending 35.6 per cent of its income on food, clothing and housing.

Holy fudge! And what is more interesting is this:

Since 1961, the total tax bill for the average Canadian family has
increased 1,590 per cent, according to the think-tank. Meanwhile, the cost of
housing has increased 1,019 per cent, the cost of food 487 per cent and the cost
of clothing 447 per cent, the Fraser Institute said.

“Over the past 45 years, taxes have become the single largest expenditure
in an average Canadian family’s budget, with the total tax bill for a typical
family increasing by 1,590 per cent since 1961,” Veldhuis said

No comments: