Tuesday, August 30, 2005

On Writing Well


Well I am still doing quite well in my "one book a week" quest. Even though I rarely hit the target, it's good to push myself towards some type of goal.

Some books feel like a push. Sometimes I really have to struggle through them. On Writing Well by William Zinsser is not one of those difficult to read books.

As someone who barely remembers high school English class and who (obvious by this blog) really needs practice in writing, this book is a godsend. I actually borrowed this copy from a good friend but after I return it I'll be sure to pick up another for myself.

Clutter:
Fighting clutter is like fighting weedsThe writer is always slightly behind. New varieties sprout overnight, and by noon they are part of American speech. John Dean holds the record. In just one day of testimony on TV during the Watergate hearings he raised the clutter quotient by 400 percent. The next day everyone in America was saying "at this point in time" instead of "now."

Consider all the prepositions that are routinely draped onto verbs that don't need any help. Head up. Free up. Face up to. We no longer head committees. We head them up. We don't face problems anymore. We face up to them when we can free up a few minutes. A small detail, you may say is not worth bothering about. It is worth bothering about. The game is won or lost on hundreds of small details. Writing improves in direct ratio to the number of things we can keep out of it that shouldn't be there. "Up" in "free up" shouldn't be there. Can we picture anything being freed up? The writer of clean English must examine every word that he puts on paper. He will find a surprising number that don't serve any purpose.

Clutter is the laborious phrase which has pushed out the short word that means the same thing. These locutions are a drag on energy and momentum. Even before John Dean gave us "at this point in time," people had stopped saying "now." They were saying "at the present time," or "currently," or "presently" (which means "soon"). Yet the idea can always be expressed by "now" to mean the immediate moment ("Now I can see him"), or by "today" to mean the historical present ("Today prices are high"), or simply by the verb "to be" ("It is raining"). There is no need to say, "At the present time we are experiencing precipitation."

Speaking of which, we are experiencing considerable difficulty getting that word out of the language now that it has lumbered in. Even your dentist will ask if you are experiencing any pain. If he were asking one of his own children he would say, "Does it hurt?" He would, in short, be himself. By using a more pompous phrase in his professional role he not only sounds more important; he blunts the painful edge of truth. It is the language of the airline stewardess demonstrating the oxygen mask that will drop down if the plane should somehow run out of air. "In the extremely unlikely possibility that the aircraft should experience such an eventuality," she begins a phrase so oxygen-depriving in itself that we are prepared for any disaster, and even gasping death shall lose its sting. As for her request to "kindly extinguish all smoking materials," I often wonder what materials are smoking. Maybe she thinks my coat and tie are on fire.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He Eddie(Pete) and Joo. How the heck are you??? Well, I am getting married on October 8th, and no Eddie, he hasn't spent any time in jail (just in case that was going to be the FIRST question you asked him.

Things are going well. Everything is costing twice what I had figured though, and we will have only been engaged for 2.5 months, so no time to save up.

I would love you guys to be there, but I know that is probably impossible.

Don and I will be living in Port Coquitlam, not far from Donna & Art. Madison is excited. She gets to be one of my bridesmaids.

Well ... take care. Eddie - are you still a virgin? Poor Joo.

Juggy said...

Wow, what a response. If I would of known I'd get that response to a book about writing, I would have written it sooner. (joking).


Good to hear from you Heather. I heard the great news and want to offer my congratulations.

You are right, chances are we will not be able to go to the wedding but we'll have to make a concerted effort of meeting this chap asap.

skindleshanks said...

Excellent book!

Anonymous said...

A godsend? Wow~ I might have to buy this book for myself.
I'm struggling to read "the ALCHEMIST" by Paulo Coelho in English. But too many new vocabularies for me... (T.T);;