Friday, January 13, 2006

Korea's place in the sun - Cumings


I had heard about this book from the moment I had started to take an interest in Korean history. I had heard rumors that Cumings asserted that it was the South that had actually started the Korean war, and that he often let the North of with only a small flick of negativity.

After reading the book cover to cover I have to say, he did not say that the South invaded first... not really. He definitely left it open for the possibility of forces other than the North starting the war though. Honestly, I don't really disagree with him on that one so I'll leave that point for now.

What bothered me about this book was more his writing. I may not be the most edumacated man out there but I did not appreciate how he flowed from a casual sentence using some out-dated idiom to a full-bore professorial rant that would make a masters student snore.

over all, I don't think I'd read it again. It had some good points and it is always good to get a different perspective, but I just didn't enjoy his all that much.

No comments: